Wednesday, June 30, 2004

6/01/2004 - 6/30/2004

Wednesday, June 16, 2004
"There he is." Following Jessica's finger, I saw the bear walk out of the woods. He crossed the lawn and sauntered up the road. The berry bushes being more interesting than the grass. We were all silent, engrossed in being so close, only a large window pane separated us from the bear. He seemed not to take notice.We each registered his presence differently. Brad thankful to be out of town where nature is quite literally at your doorstep. Jessica excited at the pleasure of watching a bear again. She has not seen one since Alaska. I realizing Rigel's future five foot fence just became six. Austin did not speak for three hours. When he finally spoke, it was to state he is definitely moving back to town when he turns 18. Actually, he plans to bypass towns and head for the city. He loves the smell of asphalt, exhaust, and expresso.The rest of us were in awe of the bear. His muscles large, his bulk imposing - even for a three year old black bear. A bear, Mt. Index, and a cabin. Peace will follow.
Posted by: CJ / 9:29 PM
Monday, June 07, 2004
The road cuts gray through the green. Green up to the tips of the hills lining the Skykomish Valley. If I stop the car and step into it, I fear I would not want to return to the road.When my brother and I were children, our parents would gently scoop us up in blankets early in the morning. They would carry us out to the back of the station wagon and lay us down. The air was cold, the sky dark. I huddled to the safety of my father's arms.My grandparents lived in Cashmere, just over the pass. A world away to a child. The rhythm of the road rocked me gently as I gazed up at the stars. They were huge compared to the little stars that lived above Renton. The hills were dark; giant sentinels to the sky. Some of my happiest memories are of the Skykomish Valley. My brother's soft breathing beside me, warm blankets caressing me, mystery abounding. Beauty unparrelled.I drove home today and my eyes stopped me. I saw the scene I saw as a child. The hills beckon me to call them home.
Posted by: CJ / 10:40 PM

No comments: